Thursday, September 19, 2013

Talk Like A Pirate Day, Teach Like A Pirate Day and the Big Storm.


I was so looking forward to today when I woke up. I knew what shirt I was going to wear. Today was Talk Like A Pirate Day and of course, I had the t-shirt to go with it thanks to my fellow pirate Dave Burgess! I even had a wonderful little song to go with my little bit of time I was going to use on the subject (10 minutes...I mean, we're talking first grade here)   I had this awesome video from Veggie Tales: We Are The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything and we had words to a goofy kids song about pirates.





A Children's Pirate Shanty

by Mark "Cap'n Slappy" Summers 


I'm a pirate! That I be!
I sail me ship upon the sea!
I stay up late - till half past three!
And that's a peg below me knee!

Yo Ho, my friends I have a tale
of treasure, plunder, sea and sail
my story's bigger than a whale
it gets so deep, ye'll have to bail.


I like to fish, I like to fight
I like to stay up half the night
When I say "starboard" ye go right!
Me ma, she says, "Ye look a fright!"

I've got no hand but that's me hook!
I pillage stuff but I'm no crook.
Me booty's in this chest I took.
They'll write about me in a book!

And that's all there is to this song.
I hope it hasn't been too long.
A pirate's life might just be wrong
So grow up nice and big and strong!


Armed with two books that my partner in all thing pirate had, we were set to go and so was the weather! You could not have picked a better book to match the weather, the t-shirt, the song and the video! If I were to write, "It was a dark and stormy night..." I would be right on! The blue sky turned green, then it turned black. The window began to pound with the sound of hail hitting the pane. With two teachers and one aide in the room, were we scared? Yes. I mean, that sky was VERY creepy! But good pirates don't let on to others what is going on and they sail on! Sail on we did. Ten minutes turned into 40. 
We had NO ONE crying..a miracle in first grade as all the eyes and ears were on our story. What would happen next? And just as we had entered about the 15 minute mark of waiting out the storm and keeping the minds of students on something else, I read this part of the page. "It wasn't easy to fall asleep without a story, but I was finally dozing off when a storm broke. Thunder boomed and lightening flashed." It did! It really did. The students were so surprised. I told them I had arranged that all! Special effects! 
They were AMAZED! SPELLBOUND! NOT SPOOKED. 

And then just after I read the words, "When the storm was over, we rowed back to shore....," the darkness faded. We could sense a clearing coming up. Again, I did mentioned to them that I had asked for special effects! 

What could have been a scary thing (because it was) was not so scary with  a great book about pirates and a teacher who LOVES her #tlap and book Teach Like A Pirate. That is what pirates do. They seize every opportunity. 

Here is another great book I read to the students today and just for fun, below you will be able to find your pirate name. Mine would be Scallywag Creeper Bart. Not the prettiest of names. I'll keep what I've got! So, go ahead...find your name and next time strange circumstances come upon you, seize them. Carpe Diem!