Saturday, March 22, 2014

Moving Forward When Everything Is NOT Awesome

www.planetminecraft.com
I have been sitting on this post for about a month. Not knowing where to start, but letting the words brew and find their place. The idea for this post came after I saw the Lego Movie. I loved the Lego Movie, and I liked the positive vibe that the catchy Lego Movie song "Everything Is Awesome" and I was crazy about the message in the movie towards the end.


As I sat there, I was thinking of times when everything was NOT awesome. It was not awesome in my professional life, not awesome in my personal life...just NOT awesome. So what, it is NOT awesome and yet I, we must move forward. Moving forward is what has kept our world turning all these years. Learning to let go of things, especially when they are out of mine or your control is VERY important.

And that lead me to look at myself deeply again, and who I am, reflecting again on what my personality is like and why I think the way I do..especially in stress filled situations. As well as to look at my character flaws that are in me for a good reason, but why?




"We all have at least one. We create it during adolescence, and thereafter it manifests as a lifelong character flaw or personality defect.


We forge this bit of our personality initially as a weapon, or at least a shield, to “protect” us as we emerge into the adult world.


It seems like a good idea at the time but, as I will explain, it is based on a false premise and so serves no real purpose. Throughout adulthood it just interferes with our lives by blocking aspects of our true nature and stifling our true character, usually without us even knowing.


Your chief feature is your primary ego defense and your main stumbling block in life.
This article describes how the chief feature comes to have such a stranglehold on our personality. First, though, a general description of the seven possible chief features."


I often think that we cannot see our biggest flaws and when people point them out to us, we reject the notion. I also think that sometimes, the very same personality trait that is a flaw is also a blessing placed in us by our Creator for something good. Our talents, aptitudes, and strength are good things, but each has a "dark side."





ENFJ
Extravert(22%)  iNtuitive(38%)  Feeling(75%)  Judging(28%)
  • You have slight preference of Extraversion over Introversion (22%)
  • You have moderate preference of Intuition over Sensing (38%)
  • You have distinctive preference of Feeling over Thinking (75%)
  • You have moderate preference of Judging over Perceiving (28%


So this means that I am:

ENFJ:



Warm, empathetic, responsive, and responsible. Highly attuned to the emotions, needs, and motivations of others. Find potential in everyone, want to help others fulfill their potential. May act as catalysts for individual and group growth. Loyal, responsive to praise and criticism. Sociable, facilitate others in a group, and provide inspiring leadership.


  • I am good at making others feel valued and important.
  • I am excellent at expressing my feelings.
  • I am very loyal.
  • I try hard to find the solution which works for everyone.
  • I love to find humor in things or situations and applaud self expression.
  • I would hope my friends would see that I encourage them be better people.
  • I have small town & positive community values.


So when everything is not awesome, my natural passionate personality comes out. It gets the better of me and I am constantly trying to tame the dark side of it.


Things like:


  • I care about others, but that leads me to getting run over by strong willed personalities.
  • I tend to be very idealistic and I can't figure out why how other people make decisions where I profoundly disagree.
  • I react when I see people diminished in anyway and I am vocal about it and I mean what I say.
  • I don't really know how to be a non-emotional thinker.
  • When I am forced between a rock and a hard place with others who are insensitive to humanity and have no sense of diplomacy I get very frustrated.
  • Sometimes, that frustration leads to burnout and I need to keep handle on that.
  • Being stubborn is also one of the negative aspects of being me.
  • I have a tendency to be a neat freak.




I saw this picture on Facebook the other day and I thought about it deeply. I do need to let go of things when everything is NOT awesome. That is NOT easy for me, but I am human and I am learning everyday. I can’t hold on to things AND move forward at the same time. Sometimes I just have to, “Let it go!”  

So, when everything is not awesome, I don't know what you do, but I dig deep and move forward, because going backwards gains no ground. Letting go, really letting go, brings deep peace and that is priceless.