Sunday, August 14, 2016

Everybody WINS In Math (Guided Math)

Image result for guided math
guided-math.com
Guided Math allows for differentiation using a flexible framework to meet the needs of all learners. It is NOT whole group instruction, nor is it an emphasis on pencil and paper learning so as to become a worksheet wonder. Instead, by providing more opportunities for 1:1 engagement and observation, I can use guided math then to observe so much more closely what the standards the students are excelling in and which they need more help in.  I find that my background now with Guided Reading and my four years so far of Guided Math have helped me understand the content so much more deeper so that I can reach right to where the student struggles. I really enjoy this process.


Everybody WINS In Math is a vigorous schedule. I use the word vigor over rigor on purpose (see below).



www.parishepiscopal.org




Rigor:

1. a (1) : harsh inflexibility in opinion, temper, or judgment : severity (2) : the quality of being unyielding or inflexible : strictness (3) : severity of life : austerity b : an act or instance of strictness, severity, or cruelty
2. : a tremor caused by a chill
3. : a condition that makes life difficult, challenging, or uncomfortable; especially : extremity of cold
4. : strict precision : exactness
5. a obsolete : rigidity, stiffness b : rigidness or torpor of organs or tissue that prevents response to stimuli

Does that sound like fun? NO. That is a horrible horrible way to learn.

Vigor:

1 : active bodily or mental strength or force
2 : active healthy well-balanced growth especially of plants
3 : intensity of action or effect
4 : effective legal status



Here is the debut of how I will use Guided Math in the 5th and 6th grades starting this school year 2016-2017.  Here is my previous blog post a few years ago about BUILD math, which still is very effective if you have a longer class period.


I wish you all a great school year!

Kimberly Hurd Horst